Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Monte Argentario

Today was spent out on the Southern Tuscan coast of Monte Argentario. I went to both Porto Santo Stefano and Port’Ercole. They are both very cute little port towns on what used to be the island of Monte Argentario; it’s technically not an island anymore because a causeway now connects it with Orbetello.

The day was a bit of a comedy of errors. I’ve been feeling pretty confident with my increasing language skills, and decided I could figure my way out to the little beaches along the Panoramic Road. Um yeah, that wasn’t exactly how things went. Who knew that pretty much no one would speak any English, but they did speak some Tuscan dialect that completely destroyed any comprehension I had. The people were really nice and patient with me and eventually things got figured out. And by eventually, I mean it took me about 3 wrong buses and 2 hours, once I got on the island, to find the beach I wanted, Le Viste outside of Port’Ercole. I only cursed a little bit, ok, A LOT. Once there the view was gorgeous, although mostly cloudy, and the climb down and back up, frightening.

The trip back to the train station was also quite the adventure. Since I took the longest route ever, to Port’Ercole, I needed directions on how to get back to the station without circumnavigating the globe. This took massive effort and brain cells, but netted me a new hot Australian friend. I was working on things when this guy came over and introduced himself. He heard me using English and Italian and decided I would be his savior; he spoke no Italian. I got us both back to the train station and we hung out having beers until my train for Rome came. He was heading over to the Adriatic to catch up with some friends. Turns out, he’d spent 10 days surfing with some “mates”, and was now heading to the Adriatic to hook up with some different ones. I gave him all the necessary knowledge I had on Croatia, especially getting shitcanned at Pupo. Just my luck; hot Aussie who is going in the exact wrong direction I’m going. We did exchange contact info, though; and, if I find myself in Australia, I have a place to crash and free surfing lessons. That ticket would be booked by now, if I was 25 again, since that is his age. Damn these hot young’uns!!!

On the causeway from Orbetello

part of the port in Port'Ercole

under La Rocca, a huge fort on the cliff. This is someone's private yard. Hate them!
at the top, I need to be down below where all the umbrellas are

off I go

on my way down the "hill"

climbing down

and finally, pretty water

view to the left from my towel

view to the right from my towel

crazy clouds kept blowing through

No comments: