Thursday, August 14, 2008

My time is ending. . .

It has been another spectacular summer; I do realize that I am one lucky girl to pull this off twice in 2 summers. This summer was particularly nice because I had so many people from home pay me a visit: Liz, Traci, and the Kables (my parent’s friends from home). With the trip to Lake Como and over to the Tuscan coast, I have officially covered this country end to end and side to side. I have hit almost every province as well. Along the way, I have met some really great people, imbibed delicious and abundant wine, eaten food so good it brings tears to my eyes, learned a bit more of a very cool language, grown as a person, seen some of the most beautiful places in Europe, laughed like a fool, and of course put the hurts on my liver. I’m also thankful for not having things go pear shaped when August rolled around this year. That’s not to say I didn’t see some seriously weird shit. . . it is Rome after all. I just didn’t get accosted or see some guy treating his body like an amusement park in public; and, that’s a good thing!

Without hesitation, I also have to say that going to Croatia was probably the highlight of the summer. I know I already said how much I laughed during that week, actually the full 2 weeks Liz was here, but really, it was just ridiculous! I’ve gotten so used to traveling by myself and just hooking up with random people for a few days here and few days there, I’d forgotten how much traveling with a good friend can enhance the experience. I’m hoping that we can continue to wreak havoc on foreign destinations for many years to come. A-geedy-up-a!! I am not sure if I will be able to continue my summer’s abroad; however, I do know without doubt that I want to live here some day. Everyone should have a place they feel so in tune with! And so, at this time tomorrow, I will be sobbing into my crappy airline lunch somewhere over the Atlantic on my way back to VA. Expect one more desperate gasp of a blog post before I get on that plane. You know me, I just can’t let go that easily.
As with last year, Liz is picking me up and has organized apperitivi at Villa della Carrie and then we are off to relive our Croatian bad behavior at O’Connells. If you should find yourself free, or just want to have drinks (rumor has it they now serve Peroni, that will lessen the pain of being Stateside) get your ass there!!

A final photo roundup. . . .Baci!

my favorite fountain in Rome off Piazza Farnese

cool face on a fountain



final gelato from Della Palma, mango and fragola (strawberry)
I've walked by this giant ham a million times over the years. Now that's SOME meat!

Campo Di Fiore's daily market

I love the fresh vegetables and fruits at Campo's market!

and the spices too!


inscription above the door to my building

my street and house number
Piazza Trilussa, constantly filled with drinking Romans at night!

Rome's official symbol

Lake Como




vino in Korcula

Dubrovnik Bosnia, dee-li-cious!


how I spent the summer

Scary nipple man, they looked like tic-tacs


the ho of Pompei!


the direction I don't want to fly

Doing what we do best, drinking wine & laughing!

view across Roma from Gianicolo Hill above Trastevere

Roman Forum and back side of Vittorio Emmanuel Monument

the Roman Forum
in front of Trajan's Forum

Vittorio Emmanuel Monument, or the Typewriter as the Romans call it

Piazza Argentina, the cat sanctuary

4 comments:

LaLa said...

That was a beautiful exciting summer vacay. Time to come home and rub it in. ;)

TropicGirl said...

I'm curious why Piazza Argentina is named that. As I'm in Argentina now, that caught my eye. I'm a blog-friend of Lala and I want to know if I can tag along when she visits you!
he he! Love your blog!
I'm homesick for Italy so thanks for sharing!

LaLa said...

Carrie, Lala and Tropic invading Italy, armed with cameras!

Carrie said...

LaLa: thanks so much for sharing the summer with me again on the blog. I always looked forward to seeing your comments! And yeah, I've already started to gloat about the adventure to friends back here! Heehee

TropicGirl: thanks for stopping by, great to have you. And hell yes you can tag along when Lala comes to visit. I can't think of anything better than 3 adventurous girls taking this place by storm!