Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Houston, we have a problem

ok, allora, so, . . .damn it! I have now been home for almost 2 weeks. That's plenty of time to readjust from 2 months away. Or is it? I haven't. What is the problem! I really did miss my friends and family; it has been wonderful to see them all again. I went to my parents beach house for 6 days and tried to put things into perspective; it didn't work. Every day, I look at the cheap bracelet around my wrist that says "Trastevere" and seriously wish to be walking, or tripping after my second liter of vino, on those cobble stoned streets. I even miss hearing the delinquents piss and barf outside my window at 5:30 in the morning. Things here have lost their edge; I can't find bright and shiny anymore. I miss working to understand conversations around me; being able to eavesdrop so easily irritates me. I still think simple phrases in Italian and remind myself not to say them out loud; it seems pretentious. I feel myself becoming very torn about my future. Unless it has been experienced, I have a difficult time explaining what it is about that place that speaks to me. I know that some of the feelings are because its "new" and not just plain old life. But that doesn't account for all of what I feel about Italy. There is a presence in the moment that captures my attention and makes me appreciate now. In Italy, tomorrow might not happen; it is today that matters. "Stories" are written because they are available and make up the chapters of our lives. As with good food and wine, relationships with people are to be savored and enjoyed for the time they are available. People spend hours sitting and chatting instead of racing around to appointments. Games between people are not the norm; but the exception. Simplicity reigns in most aspects of life; there is real passion in that way of living. I miss it. Guess that case of vino I brought home will have to carry me through. . . at least for 2 days!!
photo taken by Beth G.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SLAP!! SLAP!! SLAP!!
Get ahold of yourself woman!! Get back to the drudgery of your life and your job, and soon you'll forget all about Italy and remember it only as a fuzzy, vague, warm sensation in your elbows. By the way, nobody's reading this blog anymore, who the hell are you talking to anyway?
;o)

Carrie said...

Really? The warm fuzzy, vague, warm sensation will be in my elbows? Not the joints I would have predicted! And, I'm writing for Marco and Castrated Nostradamus; a good blog stalker never leaves! Know what I mean?

LaLa said...

You crack me up! Carrie I have this heady feeling of eccitamento that comes over me in waves, I can hardly breath sometimes. I'm a little nervous, but more thrilled than anything else. Just got my plane tickets. But tell me...are heels,platforms and wedges really out of the question? Will I have to carry a cuter pair of shoes in my oversized purse for dinner. A little height always helps my rear, if ya know what I'm sayin!!!

Carrie said...

Lala: Ciao bella. I know exactly how you feel; I sometimes feel the exact same way when I look at my photos and remember that just 3 short weeks ago I was sipping wine by the river in Trastevere. This is really going to be the most amazing experience for you. I have friends who are headed to Italy on the 19th for a two week trip. I have been helping them with the Trenitalia site and other random info about travelling in Italy. It is their first time abroad and I'm so excited for them, as I also am for you! Really, really jealous too. I WANT TO BE BACK THERE!

Enough whining. . .on to more important matters; your shoes. I took a pair of heels and a pair of wedges and only wore the wedges once. I guess it depends on your walking skills. Many streets in Tuscany are cobblestones and the sidewalks can be unpredictable. It really is a walking kind of country. If you want to wear heels out to dinner (I hear ya on giving the rear any help available) and you arent' walking too far and uneven surfaces aren't a problem then go for it. Tuscany actually is pretty casual unless you are hitting the mega 5 star restaurants. I only had on flipflops and sandals when I was there. I mostly wore flipflops and flat sandals in Rome too. My motto is/was cute and comfortable; nothing worse than aching feet when you want to get crazy Italian style. I have never figured out how Italian woman kick around in their heels, like they do.

These next 2 weeks are going to fly by and next thing you know you will be living la dolce vita; and it really is! I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventure!

Let me know if I can be of any help at all. Feel free to email me directly if you want. carrie107@earthlink.net