Thursday, August 2, 2007

Its become home!

There is no doubt that I have absolutely fallen in love with Rome. It can be a loud, dirty, boiling hot, inefficient city; but just as I wonder what the hell is with this place, I stumble onto the most amazing things that make me remember why I have come here and have started a plan for a life here. Yeah, riding the bus to the train station and passing ancient ruins, the Colloseum, and seeing St. Peter’s dome in the distance is all good, but there is more. Especially in my neighborhood of Trastevere. In the time I’ve been here, I think I have been into most of the major areas of Rome. Trastevere is what Roman life is about, at least for me. Here a few of the little things that have made Rome my home. . . .



Every night/all night on Isola Tiberina, lounges with outside couches, blankets & pillows, low tables with hookas, candles, and music are set up next to the river. I can turn the corner from my flat and be in the middle of it in 3 minutes.



Always around a corner there is something you have passed many times and yet can still be amazed at and find picture worthy.



Summer sunsets are always worth watching.




Artu Cafe. A place where you have drinks once, the owner remembers you, approaches you while your having a coffee, and greets you with a loud "Ciao bella" and a kiss on each cheek.



completely vine covered buildings




Maurizio, the Lavendar Guy. Every night he sets up on the main street of Trastevere with his box full of fresh loose lavendar. I always know he is there when I round the corner and the whole street is full of lavendar scent. I finally bought a bundle from him today. He doesn't speak a word of English, but we are having dinner tomorrow. He insisted that I take one bundle of lavendar for each room in the apartment. I love the Lavendar Guy!




Fresh cocomero. Within one block of my apt. there are 3 guys selling the best watermelon in the world for 1 euro. They are always there, no matter what time you need them! Generally, I need them no less than twice a day.



finding a friend who has the same passion for Trastevere and understands the pull to move here. She is moving to Rome in a year and starting a business that I suggested. We have been kicking around ideas all week. I have a job if I want one. . . .
The immediate increase in quiet that comes with the first of August. Romans go on holiday for the month; they really do work to LIVE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
That's not lavendar Mauritzio is selling, it's kitty litter! Just look at the photo!
Ewwww,
Peter

Carrie said...

Peter: aaaaah, that's why I had an inexplicable urge pee on it. Mystery solved! Thanks Peeeeeener.