Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cordoba

Took the train out to Cordoba today to see what I like to call the Mosquedral. It’s this ridiculously awesome combination of a former Christian basilica turned Mosque, when the Muslims conquered, that the Reconquistadors took back and decided to build a cathedral in the middle of. Seriously, it’s crazy. The cathedral pushes right up in the middle of a forest of Moorish arches. The doors from the outside still retain their very Muslim architecture, with some statues and such to Christian saints too. The former minaret has been turned into a bell tower, as they all have in Andalusia. And, the courtyard used for ablations during Moorish times was full of palm trees that the Christians ripped out and replaced with orange trees. I have decided that I really do like Moorish architecture; there is just something about all the arches and smooth lines that is really nice. Baroque style can go f*uck itself; I had bad dreams, last night, about all those creepy cherubs, saints, and plaster doodad ornamentation covering every inch of some of these churches. Or maybe the bad dreams were from too much sangria? No. . . . because at this point, I am a professional!

Oh, and I have now run into my American friends from Massachusetts, for the 3rd day running, in odd and random places. They were in the Mosquedral in Cordoba today too. I met them in the square in front of the Cathedral three days ago, and then saw them while we were both buying water at some random shop the same day, and then again in the Cathedral the following day as well as while having drinks that night. And, I still don’t know what their names are. Nice, huh! This simply reaffirms my philosophy that you should never take the attitude of, “whatever, I’ll never see these people again.” Because you will; and they will bring back up how you tripped over your own flipflop and made a loud smacking sound on the floor of the cathedral while it was all quiet and such. And then made it that much worse by laughing out loud. Not that I did that. As far as you know.

Bell tower, previous minaret

Door of Forgiveness

along the outside walls

forest of arches in every direction you looked



Muslim influence infused with Christian symbols

you can see the main alter and nave area smack in the middle of the arches
Orange tree courtyard

2 comments:

LaLa said...

All that tripping following you from Tavira! You know I haven't tripped since I got back home. That is sooo weird that you've seen the peeps we met. I think the woman's name was Anne, I hugged and can't be sure what her name is so don't feel bad!

Carrie said...

The stumble in the church was classic. The people that I've seen here in Seville aren't the ones from Portugal. It's a different couple that I met here. Now that you mention it, that couple from Tavira was from Massachusetts too, weren't they?