Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tapas, Booze, Bars, and Flamenco

I know I’ve said this about a thousand times since I started writing this blog three years ago, but I seriously love café culture. People said spending 6 days in Sevilla would be way too long; it’s a pretty small city as far the historic part goes. I, however, have managed to fill my days just fine with about 6 hours a day walking around to see assorted whatnots and then another 6 spent at tapas bars and cafes. I would be eternally grateful if one of you could arrange to get this vibe going back home. You only have a few days until I come home, so you might want to get on with it. Please.
Sangria with tapas of roasted eggplant and mini-hamburgers in a garlic sauce

most squares have tables set up in them to hang out and have a drink or tapas

Sevilla’s oldest known coffee shop, with a Starbucks on one side and a McDonald’s on the other side. Seriously?

endless homemade candies & pastries . . . declicious café con leche!

classic tapas place, Bar Estrella. Covered with old photos of Sevilla and tile work.

best tapas so far, shrimp & fish flakes in an avocado with yummy sauce, stuffed mushroom caps, and cerveza

Bar Santa Ana in Triana, a seriously local bar with pictures of bullfighters and saints on the walls. I ordered a surprisingly delicious Tinto de Verano, red wine & lemonade.

I’m also enamored with Flamenco. My sister has been dancing and raving about the art for years; I just never really got into it. Last night I went to a show at Casa de la Memoria, an old palace that has been converted into a cultural center. They have a Flamenco show in the courtyard each night, featuring some of Sevilla’s newest up and coming talents. Last nights’ show featured a guitarist, singer, and female dancer. She in particular was spectacular. I know see why my sister loves this art so much; it is muchas muchas sexy stuff. I hooked up with both the singer and the dancer. Haaaaaa, no I didn’t. Or did I. . . Unfortunately, we were not permitted to take photos during the performance, only the last 5 minutes. So mostly, my pictures of the performance suck, but the venue kicked ass too!

Casa de la Memoria



the last few minutes of the show

taking a bow

2 comments:

LaLa said...

You take AWESOME pics. I'm sooo jealous! So are the tapas living up to your expectations?? I've had tapas of squid, olives, marinated sardines filets, mushrooms and cheese w/honey. But never been on a tapas crawl like in Spain!

The statue of the flamenco dancer is so detailed. You're right Baroque is creepy. Love the tiles under the balconies. Reminds me a little of photos I've seen in New Orleans.

Carrie said...

The tapas is really good. Their philosphy is really any dish you would eat as a meal, they offer in little portions. It's pretty awesome! Thanks for the compliment on my photos; its really my camera. It does the work I just point and click!