Sunday, July 19, 2009

Home Again

I'm back in VA, where everyone but me seems to think I belong. Actually, it's nice to sleep in my own bed and be in a place where I can understand what's going on if I choose to. I'm also incredibly grateful that I, and my luggage, made it when and where we were supposed to. The return travel, 18 hours worth, was definitely the longest route I 've ever taken from Europe: Sevilla to Barcelona; Barcelona to Paris; Paris to Dulles. For a girl terrified of flying, that was a lot of take offs and landings. Also probably the reason I drank a significant amount of gratis Champagne from Air France. Or I just love booze. Either way.

So, Liz picked me up at the airport, as has become our tradition; and, after about 2 hours of trying to clear customs and immigration, we hit the road for trouble. Being the most excellent friend she is, Liz had bottles of Vinho Verde and some snacks on hand to ease the pain of being home. We dropped my stuff at my house, cleaned up (meaning I brushed my hair and put on some makeup . . . no sense in scaring the villagers immediately upon my return), and headed to O'Connells. And, the rest is pretty predictable. I made bad choices by drinking Irish Car Bombs and Magners Cider on minimal food and no sleep for over 24 hours. But it was fun as hell and great too see everyone! In fact, one of the best statements ever, came from our collective bad behavior, in an email yesterday morning. To protect the not so innocent, I'm keeping the author of this line anonymous "My head is about to explode, I think I might ralph and my upper lip smells like man. It must have been a good night, though I don't recall much."

I spent most of yesterday asleep; in fact I think I was only really awake for about 5 hours total. I LOVE SUMMERTIME!!!!!!!!!

Merrin, me, Haley, and Loralei at O'Connells

Liz, honoring the "french fry incident" of last year's return home outing.

Liz wearing my friend's extra outfit that was stuffed into the smallest purse, ever! Kelly looks on with horrified amusement.

another Irish Car Bomb seems like a good idea . . .

on second thought, maybe not!
Alex, Liz (doing what, I'm not sure), me at Union Street
the beginning of the end, bar #3 Bayou Room
self-explanatory

"do whaaaaa!"

Alex, me, random guy at Bayou Room just before we all pour ourselves into cabs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her upper lip smelled like man AND she puked? I can only hope that the man smell occurred before the vomit. She ought to carry more than just an extra outfit in her tiny purse. Perhaps a toothbrush a face cloth?

Liz

LaLa said...

What a way to be welcomed home!!

Carrie said...

Liz: I bet if you dug down deeper in that purse you would find all kinds of useful things.

LaLa: it was awesomely ridiculous!