Sunday, July 22, 2007

Come si dici . . . nevermind

This past week has been something else. By Wednesday afternoon I was too hot, too frustrated with language classes, and disenchanted with Roma only to finally hit a groove and really start to fall in love with this city. While the Italian class was completely disorganized and not what I had hoped, that was the consensus of all in my class, it has helped me to understand much of more of what I read and hear. I also learned some very important curse words/phrases. In keeping with my nature, I can’t remember how to say “how much does that cost” but I can rattle a litany of insults and dirty words. Well worth the money I spent!

More importantly, I met some really great people who have become true friends. I have had fantastic dinners and drinks in hidden piazzas, along the river, and at the Trastevere festival all week long. One thing I have learned about Rome is that its inhabitants do not believe in sleeping. Every night begins with dinner from about 9:30 -12:00, then out for drinks. When I called it a night at 3:30 last night, everyone else continued to dance and drink until 6:30am. Unbelievable!

After dragging ourselves out of bed this morning, Naz and I went to the Trastevere flea market, all day. This thing is crazy big. It has everything from toilet parts to perfume, to antiques, to flowers, to cheese. It is seriously unbelievable. I found some great stuff and now have to figure out how to get it home. I have a feeling UPS is going to make a bundle off me.

So, tomorrow I’m getting out of Rome for a week and heading south. I’m spending a few days on the sea at Gallipoli on the very southern tip of Italy. Then I’m headed to Alberobello to see the domed Trulli houses, followed by Matera where “Passion of the Christ” was filmed. I’m pretty excited about those two nights since I booked into a hotel that is built into the sassi, which are the cliff dwellings.

I’m traveling light over the next week, so I’m not taking my laptop. Unless my hotels have internet access, I won’t be updating, and definitely won’t post any more pictures, until I return to Roma on Monday 7/30.

So with that said, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister on 7/24, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to Angela & Cary on the same day, and have a GREAT REUNION to you St. Maria Goretti alums, I’m sorry I will miss it!
My neighborhood, Piazza Santa Maria

near my apt.


my neighborhood


a going away gift for Damon


yes, Naz & I are nasty!


Maurizio, our teacher on left and Louie, a student from Turkey


Julia, student from Germany

Naz and I

Naz & Damon, it went downhill from there!

3 comments:

LaLa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LaLa said...

Hey Carrie,
Your pics look great! Can you tell me what camera you're using. I want to document my trip as well. Thanks!

Carrie said...

Thanks lala. My camera is a few years old. Its a Canon Powershot S400, Elph.