Sunday, July 1, 2007

We made it!

It was a bit of adventure getting here, but now I remember why all of the hassle is so worth it. The saga began with a two hour wait to check in. I have never seen such a mess. United really made a poor decision when it decided to make international check-ins self service. Then, our flight out of Dulles was delayed leaving for two hours because of mechanical failures. Another plane was brought in from somewhere, which was a good thing since a couple of hundred people were beginning to lose their minds over the thought of not making it to Europe. Due to the delayed departure we had to sprint through the Frankfurt airport only to be told they had given our seats away to standby passengers since we had not checked in a the gate at least 1/2 an hour before takeoff. That would have been some trick since we were still in the air at that time. So, we are told to wait around and they would put us on waiting list for the next 3 sold-out flights to Rome. Huh??? Anyway, luck was with us and we caught the next one to Rome, only to have to wait for over an hour for our luggage to ooze out onto the baggage carousel. Next we hope an express train to Rome's central train terminal and then catch our train to Chiusi in Tuscany. By the time we get there the three of us have been up for an eternity, sweated our asses off running, and cussed up a storm Ok, I'm the only one who cussed up a storm.

When we finally got off the train in Chiusi, our driver Stefano and his girlfriend Steffi, both fantastic people, were holding up a sign that read "Myers". I almost kissed both of them full on the mouth I was so happy to see them. It was at this point that Luck stopped acting like such a bitch and smiled on us. Stefano and Steffi popped a bottle of Prosecco to toast our arrival in Italia and drove us through the hills of Tuscany. We arrived at our apartment in Montepulciano around 7pm on Saturday and it was pure heaven. I could not have designed a more perfect place to spend a week of my time. The views are spectacular out of every window, the flat itself is purely Tuscan design, the breezes are cool, and the wine is delicious. Today we strolled around the town, ate caprese, drank beer and wine, had a wine tasting, visited a wine cellar, and enjoyed a fun dinner at a traditional osteria.

Tomorrow we go to Montalcino for Brunello tastings. After 1 day I am hard pressed to imagine coming home. Some pictures . . .

View from my bed!


View from Piazza S. Franceso



Heaven, or a Nobile di Montepulciano wine cellar.

The Grand Piazza bell tower

5 comments:

Loralei said...

How are you already tanned? I don't think I would ever leave a room with that view. Gorgeous!! Send wine...

Carrie said...

I must have already been tan before I left the states. I spend an awful lot of time sitting and staring out these windows while drinking the wine I bought the day before. Sorry to say, sending vino will be difficult since I seem to drink it as soon as I buy it. The wine is disappearing almost as fast as whiskey at Badger's Tadger! Allora . . .

Anonymous said...

Carrie,

It looks absolutley beautiful. We would LOVE to come visit you, but I don't think they'll let an 8 1/2 month prego fly (who knows...maybe I'll give it a shot). I could've just had a big lunch...what do they know. Have a glass or two of wine (or bottles) for me...I'm DYING for a nice glass of red wine.

Keep on postin' it brings back great memories for Marc and I of our trip to Italy!!

Ciao (see I'm still remember me some Eye-talian). ;0)

"Talk" to you soon,

Sherri

Carrie said...

Sherri: How was the beach? 8 1/2 months pregnant. . time does fly when you are having fun, eh! I say you try to get on a flight. You can finish baking that baby and drink wine at the same time over here. That was Pam's philosphy, anyway ;-)

Anonymous said...

Carrie,

The beach was great...no Italy, of course, but fun none the less. No flying meatballs at this family vaction, so I'd rate it pretty high. '0)

I've got six weeks to go in the pregnancy, so we are basically on the same time frame...I deliver a baby at the end of six weeks, you deliver a lot of GOOD stories (and hopefully return to VA). Although, I think you will be a little sad at the end of your six weeks. Me, on the other hand, will be SO happy to get rid of the cankles and drink a REAL beer.

I loved your recent round of pictures. Tell Ruthie and Bill they looked mahvelous!!

Talk to you soon.

Sherri