Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Val d'Orcia

Yup, this area of Tuscany is the place. Must find an agent immediately and begin the search for a home to purchase. I don’t have too many requirements: a farmhouse on a hill surrounded by olive groves and a small vineyard with a Cypress lane leading to the house. It would also be a bonus if there was a pool surrounded by a small sunflower field and potted lemon trees on the patio. Oh, I need a constant delivery of wines such as Nobile di Montepulciano, Rosso di Montepulciano, Brunello di Montalcino, and Chianti too.

In order to make this endeavor a reality, please send as much money as you can spare. Also, your contribution will entitle you to an occasional visit ;-)

This plan was officially put into effect after yesterday’s tour. We went out into the countryside to Bagno Vignoli - a thermal spa, Pienza, and Montalcino. All of it was gorgeous and pretty much directly out of any movie you have ever seen set in Tuscany. The Val d’Orcia really is classic stuff. Our guides, Stefano and Steffi packed a picnic lunch for us and set it up on a hillside overlooking a small farm of olives and grapes. I think they may have also put in a special order for perfect weather, as a cool breeze came up and pretty puffy clouds dimmed the sun. Stefano made a pasta salad with fresh sweet tomatoes, mozzarella, and olive oil from his uncle’s farm. The oil came from trees specially reserved for the family’s use. Hence, my need for my own trees. You just can’t find olive oil like this at home! After the pasta, he cut up three different types of Pecorino cheese and served it with honey and pears. We also switched from a nice white wine to a tasty Rosso di Montepulciano to accompany the cheese. Seriously? Wine pairings at a picnic? I’m never coming home. After climbing the fortress and having some wine tastings in Montalcino we started the trip home. We passed the villa used for the movie Gladiator, think ending scene when he is walking up the Cypress lane to his wife and son while running his hands over the wheat field. The exact same one!! Do you see why I now need you to send money so I can buy a place here!

Finished the day with a fantastic dinner at Quattro Venti on the Piazza Grande. Small world that it is, we shared our table with a couple that lives in Chevy Chase, MD and works in DC!
Bagno Vignoli
The Duomo in Pienza
Picnic outside of Pienza
Val d'Orcia
Montalcino
Lunch at Caffe Poliziano - Montepulciano

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yeah! well i ate hot dogs and watched fireworks yesterday.

love,
terri "seething with jealousy" egan

Carrie said...

The big question is, did you have any Makers Mark to go with those hot dogs and Fireworks?? Haaa!

Amore!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,

Terri sent me your blog, and I'm DYING seeing all the great photos and reading your great stories! I have a photo of me and some friends sitting at the exact same table on the exact same balcony in Montalcino! Buona vacanze! Pace e bene! Jen

Carrie said...

Jen: welcome, so glad Terri sent you the link! As I keep trying to remind myself that I should come home in Auguest, I think about your story often and flirt with the idea of looking into teaching here. I guess time will tell :-)