Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Siena and San Gimignano 7/04

We went to Siena the day after the Palio and got to see the winning contrada doing the Italian version of trash talking the losing contradas. While we did not actually see the Palio, we did see lots of photographs from previous races. It is unbelievable that they still do this race. It is all held in the Piazza del Campo with sand like stuff covering the cobblestones. The whole race is a bareback race that doesn’t require the rider to still be on the horse when it crosses the finish line. People pack the center of the piazza and outer edges, protected by padded barriers. Each neighborhood or contrada has a flag with a specific animal and a horse entered into the race. There are 17 contrada that participate. This thing is like Preakness on crack held in a space the size of my backyard. Anyway, we happened on a group from the winning contrada walking through the streets wearing their flags around their necks, singing, banging a drum, and carrying their medal/banner. We saw them at the oldest caffe in Siena, Nannini’s, where they popped bottles of champagne and sang some songs before beginning their drinking tour of the losing contradas. So funny. We also went into the Duomo. I still think it is the prettiest of all the cathedrals in Europe because of the black and white marble. Unfortunately, the outside it being renovated so Mom and Dad had to see it with a crane and scaffolding around it.

From Siena we went to San Gimignano, a hill town known for its ridiculous number of towers. Apparently in its day, there were something like 70 of things. Now, there are only about 14. In medieval times people built the towers to protect themselves from the two rivaling families of the town. Think, mine’s taller than yours so don’t even think about attacking us. I climbed the town hall’s tower and the view of the region is fantastic. You can see into the Chianti region with all of its vineyards and olive groves.
Duomo in Siena
Winning contrada drinking/singing
City hall tower in San Gimignano
from top of the tower

4 comments:

LaLa said...

I found your blog while browsing and really enjoy reading it. You gave me the idea to blog my travels while in Tuscany this September. I hope you keep having a wonderful time! :)

Anonymous said...

I wish we could have seen the race when we were in Siena. Just thinking of how many people they jam into the middle of town is incredible. You definetly do not want to have a big car in that town...

Carrie said...

lala: glad you like the blog and hope you enjoy your travels as much as I have. Its a great country!

Jeffe: I really don't think I would want to be in Siena for the Palio. . .its just insane! I don't think I would even want a scooter in most of these towns. Say ciao to the wife for me!

Elitre said...

Hi, I just read your post. You may be interested in visiting my blog with lots of links to Palio di Siena pics and videos. If you like it, please consider linking back to me.
Ciao!
Elitre,
http://ilpaliodisiena.splinder.com