Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Solo in Roma

And so my solo time in Italia begins. Mom and Dad flew home Sunday morning after a great two weeks. They spent their final 3 days with me in Roma and I think we packed in all of the major must see sights: my neighborhood of Trastevere, The Colosseum, Palantine Hill, Roman Forum, the Vatican including St. Peter’s and Sistine Chapel, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and Via Condotti with all the major Italian fashion houses. Fortunately, it was not too hot until their last day here and now it is getting disgustingly hot. Think so hot, the sun would feel cool!!! We had a great time walking around seeing everything and eating fantastic pasta and gelati, as well as soaking ourselves in wine. I think we found the absolute best place near the Pantheon to have gelato. They offer over 100 flavors and it truly is “shitgodamn” good! See the picture to prove it. I have been in Italian classes for 3 days. I think I understood about 10% of what went on, but met some really great people in the class. There was one girl from Brazil, three people from France, and 2 other Americans named Naz and Damon. Naz is from LA and is really great. I think she could tell by the look on my face that I was questioning my decision to sign up for this language mess, because out of the gate she told me it gets easier every day and I will really make progress by the end of the week. This is her second week in the class. Apparently, if you are considered a beginner you just get dumped into the class with people who have been in the class for up to 4 weeks. An interesting approach, we’ll see. Anyway, Naz is also living in Trastevere, about 3 blocks from me, so my first day we walked back and had a 4 hour lunch with lots of wine and finished it with a stroll along the Tiber and some fresh watermelon from a street vendor. That’s my kind of lunch! They are both very cool and we have been hanging out a bit. I’m now off to a café to do my homework for tomorrow. . . conjugating some verbs and learning prepositions. What have I done?!


Bridge outside my apt.

Coloseo

Roman Forum


Palantine Hill



Roman Forum




Vatican self portrait



sassy self portrait!




Gelato is soooo good face!


Trevi Fountain



the Piazza Belli outside my apt.

4 comments:

Loralei said...

Wow, those are some lovely pictures..were there flowers on Ceasar's grave? they were there when I was and i thought that odd...man the galato looks tasty...And what took you so long to do a new post? I mean you get us hooked and then 8 days nothing...Did Ruth get her bottom pinched? Those crazy I talians love to pinch bottoms...

Joe said...

Someone pinched Ruth's bottom???? Now we're talkin! I want in on that!

Carrie said...

Loralei: As with all things Italian, the internet situation is totally inefficient. I have dial-up and can't attach pictures. I finally found a wireless cafe near my apartment so now I should be able to be better about posting. There were flowers on Caesar's grave, I think that is a permanent tradition. Ruth did not get her bottom pinched, at least that I know of. Then again, she did want to take the bus ALOT!

Joe: you nasty, nasty boy. . . that's my mom your talking about. She would love it ,-)

Anonymous said...

Carrie, suona come voi sta avendo un buon viaggio. Avete comunicato con di ragazzi italiani piacevoli? Quella è una contraddizione nei termini, uomini è maiali. Uomini italiani, in ogni modo. Partecipare al corso di lingue per tre nuove settimane. Smettere di bere troppo vino ed ottenere una bottiglia del capitano Morgan. Non dimenticare le vostre radici! Se trovate un piccolo vetro nella figura di una calzatura (Italia), dovreste comprarli. Sarebbe un buon investimento. Le costruzioni nelle vostre immagini abbastanza sono danneggiate. Il colliseum compare come disastro. Là non sono delle costruzioni piacevoli in Italia? Avere un giorno piacevole. Ciao bella.