Friday, July 18, 2008

Croatia and back. . . we made it. The first of MANY posts.

This past week has been a truly legendary week. I have not laughed so hard, met such great people, or seen so many beautiful sites in a very long time. There are such an incredible amount of stories to tell that I’m going to have to break them up into separate posts. I’m also still without internet at my apartment so I’m forced to go to a cafĂ© and post for the hour and a half my battery will last. So let’s begin at the beginning.

Getting to Croatia from Italy is a snap. We got to Fiumincino with plenty of time to knock back a couple of vinos at a wine bar and still hang around the gate. As we were sitting beside the window watching the ground crew load luggage onto our flight, I noticed one of the guys ready to load what looked like packaged tent poles onto the belt in the belly of the plane. While that in and of itself is not interesting, it did get funny when he held all 8 feet of them up to his crotch like it was his big old junk and was stroking it for his buddy in the plane. Liz and I cackled like fools. I swear to god timing is everything. So we board the plane and of course I start taking pictures. When we get into our seats I turn to take a photo of Liz and notice who will be her background. Liz notices my face, turns to look, and starts laughing so hard tears were literally squirting out of her eyes. I’m pretty sure we belly laughed for 45 of the 60 minutes it took us to fly to Dubrovnik. I’m also well aware that we are going to hell for being shallow and mean. No shock there, really.
Our plane

oh the tears of laughter, shameful!

yay, andiamo!

The mountains leaving Italy

The Dalmationa Coast arriving in Dubrovnik

In Croatia, baby!

The son of our sobe owner met us at the gate, holding a sign with our names on it, which of course made us laugh all over again. It probably wasn’t that funny except we were primed to laugh at pretty much everything. Vlaho, the son was awesome. He drove us to the Old Town and then his mother Neves met us and walked us to our apt. It was great, in a 17th century building with AC, charm, and a load of stairs. We dropped our stuff and headed out to wander the Old Town and find dinner. We ate a little place right on the old port; it was delicious. Croatian white wine, risotto with cuttlefish, olives, cheese, and bread.
At the old port for dinner.

Dubrovnik's Cathedral at night

View out of one of our bathroom windows.

Since it was late and we were getting up early to catch the ferry to Korcula in the morning, we headed off for an ice cream and then to bed.

Rooftops of Dubrovnik

Heading out the Pile Gate on the way to the ferry dock!

6 comments:

Loralei said...

I'm impressed that it wasn't a propeller plane...Anxious to hear more...And glad that you both survived.

Carrie said...

Definitely not a prop plane; these Croatians do shit in style. I'm going to write the Three Sheets emulation tomorrow, promise!

LaLa said...

FINALLY!! Okay...so girlfriend behind Liz was looking uncomfortable to say the least. And you two are super bad for documenting it. hee hee

Oh Care bear (I swear that just popped into my head), I have news for you. I'll send you an email once I gather all the info. ;)

Carrie said...

Lala: What is this news???? Very very evil you to throw it out there as a tease. Any chance you are going to make to Italy while I'm here? Tell me, tell me, tell me!!! And yes, Liz and I are just plain wrong on all accounts!

LaLa said...

Now that would be fabulous news! I told a friend about your blog and how much fun you had last year and ARE having this year. I mentioned that next year I'm definitely going, whatever the next destination is. She said friends of her family have a great apartment that sleeps four by the San Clemente church and she's sure they would give a mega discount! I just wanted to get all the info before I mentioned it, I'll fill you in when I find out more.

Carrie said...

Oh snap! I see big trouble coming for summer 2009. Wahooooooooo!!