Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Io Sono a Roma!

I made it! The flight was uneventful and on time, my luggage showed up, and Tomasso was waiting for me outside the apartment at exactly the agreed upon time. A good start. Because of a miscommunication between Tomasso and I, I knew I was going to have to spend the first week in a different apartment than the one with the pool. As it turns out, this place is pretty amazing. It’s located just across the river from Trastevere in the Jewish Ghetto ( don't let the word Ghetto fool ya. There is a Maserati and a Lamborghini parked in front of the building!). The flat is in an ancient building that backs the Teatro di Marcello and Portico d’Ottavia, which is being excavated still. I have a 24 hour porter (fancy) and an entryway that pictures do not do justice. It’s close to everything and because the walls are so thick and ceilings so high, it stays pretty cool. Tomasso, the guy who manages the properties is fabulous. He’s about my age, sweet, and very helpful. Because I have to move to the other flat on Sunday, he is coming to get me and my stuff with a car. Nice that I don’t have to take a taxi! The only down side is I don’t have wifi or internet in this flat, so postings will have to be done from either the Irish bar 2 blocks away or from the same cafĂ© I used last year. A real hardship, haaaaaaaa!

As promised, I’ve already had my first gelati from Della Palma, ate it under the portico of the Pantheon. And now, I’m sipping my first of millions of glasses of vino. Please feel sorry for me; this is a difficult life.


bedroom

the lounge


Hallway to lounge & bedroom


The foyer of my flat (swanky, no?)

bathroom with crazy mirrors & faucets like swans

Portico d’Ottavia – oldest 4 sided porch in Rome

Area Archeoligca del Teatro di Marcello – planned by Caesar and built by Augustus in 13BC.. My building in on right.


The front of my current building


Looking out through the front door

9 comments:

LaLa said...

GRRRR! I swear I'm not making any plans for next year until I see what you're doing FIRST!

Unknown said...

Swanky, yes!! Great photos and sounds like you are well on your way to a fabulous six weeks! Looking forward to reading more....
Shanleigh arrives home tonight - looking forward to time with her...
Be well and HAVE FUN!! I'm sure you will ;-).
~M

Anonymous said...

Okay...I'm a blog geek and was sad when I didn't see any postings this morning. "YIPPEE", I said when I checked tonight. Your place looks great. Have fun. I hope you keep this up, so I can visit you one day/one year!!!

Sherri

Carrie said...

Lala: That's what I want to hear; you won't regret it!!!

Melissa: Yay, you made it to the blog. I'm sure you are sooo looking forward to Shanleigh arriving tonight. Enjoy it!!

Sherri: I loooooove blog stalkers. I'm sorry I can post more often; its tough without internet in the flat. Hopefully when I switch flats on Sunday that will change. One of these years you, Anna, and I are going to do our December shoppping thing in Roma. Promise!!!!

Loralei said...

You have to be the luckiest lady in the land...Swanky yes! Have you meet the fellow driving the lamborgini across the way? Is he bello?

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for a blog about debauchery......I need to live vicariously through others, so if you could just take one for the team and hook up with a hot Italian Stallion, preferably in his mid 20s, that would be great.

Miss you!
Angela

Anonymous said...

seriously?? i don't think it gets any better than that. thanks for the details... must... have... more....

and you go on with your techie bad self - doin' the whole skype thing...nice.

LaLa said...

I'm sure I wont' regret it!

Carrie how was your flight? Which company did you use? Grazie.

Carrie said...

Loralei: have not met the owner of either posh car. And I'm terrified of men who fluff their chest hair and wonder if I find them "bello". aaaaaaaigh!

Angela: will do my best; it will be difficult though, haaaaa!!

Terri: ciao bella! Will do my best.

Lala: I had a nonstop on United and it was great. I got upgraded to Economy Plus for free!!! 5 more inches of leg room makes all the difference in the world.