Saturday, July 26, 2008

Frascati

I made the executive decision that I needed to do something other than la dolce niente (sweet nothing) while I am in Rome, so I headed out to Frascati on Wednesday. It’s only about 30 kilometers from Rome and a quick 20 minute train ride. The town is very small and not that interesting; however, it is the home to what now runs through my veins, Frascati wine! We hit a couple of enoteca’s for wine sampling and wandered around a pretty little park. And of course, drank too much vino.

Pretty park right outside the center of Frascati

a statue in the park that had seen better days. Not sure where the rest of him went. . .

stairs leading up to a little chapel

Villa Tuscolana, beautiful hotel and restaurant

view from one of the gardens

You can see Rome. That's St. Peters dome in the middle.

driveway of Villa Tuscolana

gorgeous private villa on the hill over the town

gardens around villa

Monument to vino at the train station

4 comments:

LaLa said...

I want to do wine tours in the Piedmont region.

Carrie said...

Oooh, that would be fantastic. Can you work that into your plans for the fall? Wine tours are the best!

Loralei said...

Allan said, "Frascati is a girl's drink." You know if Zane, The Drinking Man, Lamprey can drink a Sangria in Spain, then I think you can drink whatever the hell you want. I still think it sounds like Lambrusco...yummy!

Carrie said...

Well, since rumor has it that I am a girl, I suppose Frascati is right up my alley. Tell your cheeky husband to shove that up his doetpipe! And yeah, if Zane can go "fruity", I've got license to drink anything. . . sadly, I have. Lambrusco, ha!